30th – 31st August, 2018 l Engineering Guest, KNUST, Kumasi
Detailed information to participants
BS Africa Limited (BSA) invites all Medical Practitioners, Health Administrators, Academics, and Senior Health Professionals in the public and private sectors and Public Policy Makers to a two-day intensive workshop titled: ‘The Law and Medical Practice in Africa’.
In recent years, the law relating to medicine and healthcare has become increasingly complex. This has significant consequences for medical practices and questions of legal liability and compensation. This programme aims to provide a sound knowledge of the legal rules applicable to the practice and administration of healthcare.
Objectives of the Workshop
You will learn about
- Resolving, anticipating and preventing ethical dilemmas from an ethical/legal framework;
- The meeting points between medicine, ethics and law, and where they differ;
- The general principles of confidentiality and consent; and
- The working mechanism of the Fitness to Practice Committee of the Medical Council.
The workshop will cover all areas of medico-legal aspects of healthcare including:
- An introduction to clinical risk management and risk management in practice;
- Issues of patient safety and quality;
- introduction to the legal system;
- Medical negligence;
- Health & Safety Issues in Healthcare;
- Patient consent;
- Confidentiality and privacy;
- Beginning and end of life issues;
- Medical research and bioethics;
- Medico-ethical aspects of law and medical ethics;
- Medical Litigation Issues: Plaintiff and Defendant perspectives; the Coroner’s Court;
- Fitness to Practice and Professional Regulation; and
- Practical aspects of expert witness and evidence in cases
This workshop emphasizes:
- Practical application of this knowledge and training healthcare and medico-legal settings;
- Case studies and practical on-the-ground scenarios.
We are targeting:
This course provides training for healthcare providers, doctors, dentists, nurses, physiotherapists, radiographers, other healthcare professionals and personnel, hospital managers, clinical risk advisors/managers, hospital managers/directors, administrators and other professionals working directly or indirectly in the fields of patient quality, safety and clinical risk management, and will also be direct professional interest to healthcare lawyers and those involved in claims management.
These and many other legal issues confront medical doctors, nurses, midwives, medical centers (hospitals, clinics, etc.). Health and medical practitioners must, therefore, familiarize themselves with such issues and how they can be resolved when they arise.
Relevant case studies will be relied on to highlight and contextualize issues which have far-reaching implications for health workers.
Who should attend: Medical Doctors, Senior Health Professionals (Nurses/Midwives), Health Administrators, Academics, Legal Professionals, Policy Makers etc.
Date: 30th – 31st August, 2018
Venue: Engineering Guest House, KNUST, Kumasi
Fee: GH¢1,250 (Ghanaians)/ US$480.00 (non-Ghanaians)
The fee covers workshop materials, certificates and meals. Accommodation is available on request.
Registration: Register to attend by completing the attached form and submitting a scan completed copy to email@example.com or by visiting us online at www.bsa.kpit.edu.gh or call for further information on +233202237853.
Payment: Payment can be made by company cheque or bank draft to:
BS Africa Limited, Ecobank Ghana Limited, Westland Accra Branch,
Acc. No. 038-00144-2833-5801
Profile of the Facilitator – Dr. Emmanuel Maurice Ankrah
Dr. Emmanuel Maurice Ankrah is both a medical doctor and a lawyer specialized in medico-legal issues of the law in Ghana. He is a member in good standing with both the Ghana Bar Association and the Ghana Medical Association and an Advocate of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Ghana.
He is the Head of Medico-Legal Unit of the Ghana Health Service, Headquarters, Accra and a Senior Partner of the law firm, Kuukuaa Legal Consulting in Accra.
Dr. Ankrah has worked in Obstetrics and Gynaecology Departments of the La General Hospital, Tema General Hospital and the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Ghana between 1998 and 2004.
He is a Legal Consultant and an Adjunct Lecturer at the Ghana Technology University College.
Dr. Emmanuel Maurice Ankrah completed Ghana School of Law, and obtained Barrister at Law (BL) in 2006. He completed Vinnitsa State Medical University, Piragov, Ukraine, for his medical training in 1998. He also holds a post graduate certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Management from the Ghana Institute of Management Public Administration.
Dr. Maurice Ankrah has been preparing Training Manuals, Seminar and Conference materials for training in Medical Law and Ethics for many years. Some of the areas covered over the years include Medical Negligence, Confidentiality, Consent, Blood Transfusion, Surrogacy, Handling of dead bodies among others.
Some of the Institutions he has been facilitator for medico-legal training include:
- The Teaching Hospitals – Korle-Bu, Komfo Anokye and Tamale;
- Medical and surgical Skills Institute, MSSI, Korle-Bu;
- Quasi-Government Hospitals;
- Christian Hospitals Association of Ghana (CHAG);
- Private Practitioners; and
- School of Anastasia, Ridge Hospital, Accra.
You can reach out to us for any clarifications by any of the following means:
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: David on +2332(0)223 7853